Saturday, December 1, 2007

Documentation Example 1

7/20/03

Lynn Smith called me at 11:40am and said she would be at the library in 20 minutes to meet with me. I told her I could not meet with her in 20 minutes but that I would be happy to schedule an appointment for another time. She seemed hesitant to schedule an appointment and asked why she could not meet with me in 20 minutes. I explained to her that I had an appointment already in place and would then be going to lunch. She did finally schedule an appointment for noon on 7/23/03. Her tone was polite at first, but immediately changed to angry when I told her she could not come in 20 minutes.

7/23/03
I had the interview with Lynn Smith. Lynn was 10 minutes late due to a “parking problem.” She stated she had visited the library before and had trouble, but she thought today would not be as busy.

I gave her a volunteer application and criminal records check form. She asked why she needed to complete paperwork. I told her it was the procedure for becoming a volunteer and everyone had to do it. She said she did not want to complete a criminal records check because that was like admitting she was a criminal. I told her it was one of the requirements. She asked if she could go get her criminal history herself and bring a copy to me. I said we had to process the check ourselves.

She finally agreed to complete the paperwork but sighed several times while she was filling it out. She was also muttering something under her breath but I could not make out the words.

I started asking her standard interview questions and she sighed again several times. She did not smile the entire time she was in my office and often while I was speaking she looked bored. At one point her cell phone rang and she held up a finger to me and took the phone call. I’m sure I gave her an incredulous look. She rolled her eyes and told the caller, “I have to go. This lady is giving me the eye.”

She had written on her application, "I sometimes get irritable and unreasonable, but I'll be fine as long as people stay out of my way."

At this time, I informed Lynn that we did not have any positions available that would fit her needs and the needs of the library. She asked me if I was kidding and I told her I was not. She said I had to take her as a volunteer because volunteers can go anywhere they want. I told her that was not the case and thanked her for her interest in the library. She did not look happy when she left and I again heard her muttering under her breath.